DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
- Lead and manage the finance team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the area finance sector/department activities including daily monitoring of area and asses the daily quality of finance work
- Provide technical support, guidance and input to the area team.
Accounting / Finance
- Review Journals (Project Expense, General and Vendor Payment Journals) for completeness and accuracy before forwarded to Country Office (CO) for posting.
- Follow up committed costs in all projects in coordination with Procurement department.
- Prepare & submit IDRA to Country Office and update the bank signatories, as and when required.
- Monitor the liquidity levels of the offices and ensure that the cash requests are sent to Country Office on time as per the deadlines.
- Ensure weekly cash forecast is done for the area office and bi-weekly cash request is submitted through DRC Dynamics for the funds required to run the program activities.
- Review monthly payrolls and update the resource scheduling for all staff in the area in DRC Dynamics.
- Review main accounts and follow up on all temporary accounts to ensure timely settlement.
- Ensure monthly closure is done for the area office as per the policy ensuring signed bank reconciliations are submitted to CO Finance.
- Ensure all closing projects are reviewed and clean-up is done within the liquidation period before the final reports are prepared
- Ensure the supporting documents are scanned on monthly basis and forwarded to Country Finance Specialist as per the provided deadlines.
- Review Area office payment documentation for accuracy and compliance with DRC/Donor guideline procedures and payment check list.
- Train finance and non-finance staff on DRC finance polices and DRC Dynamics finance functionalities
Budgeting, budget control, planning and Reporting
In coordination with the Area Manager, Develop Master budgets for DDG/DRC area office and ensure all data are accurate. Share the Master Budget with Finance Manager on a monthly basis as per the Finance Calendar
- Conduct Monthly BFU/TDL reviews meeting & monitor actual spending and advice Area Manager and Program team to avoid overspending and plan on underspending.
- Prepare donor budgets with support from Area Manager and Program Manager
- Support new proposal development with financial information for budgeting
- Support the Country Finance Team in budget re-alignment
- Ensure the TDLs are cleaned in preparation for donor reporting and inform Country Finance Specialists
- Ensure partner financial reports are received on monthly basis, review all supporting documents, all partner vouchers are scanned and uploaded on DRC Dynamics on timely manner.
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure that processes under supervision are handled properly via DRC Dynamics
- Ensure ERP finance functionalities are properly used by concerned staff and team has proper knowledge and access to information to use DRC Dynamics
- Apply reports and data analytics from ERP system to improve financial performance in the area office
Local Tax management
- Coordinate with Area Finance, HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC/DDG is in compliance with same. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis.
- Ensure all payments meet requirements of National Law and tax requirements are met accordingly
- Coordinate with HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments within your area of support. This included taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
- Support the Finance to coordinate with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments on timely manner.
- Keep Finance Manager, Finance Coordinator and Finance Specialists informed of the latest developments regarding the taxation rules in the area.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC/DDG financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Review Area office scanned documents before forwarding to Country Finance Specialists.
- Conduct regular compliance checks on Area offices.
- Ensure the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.
- Provide technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance. If additional support is required coordinate with CO Finance Specialist.
- Be the focal person for donor verifications and audits to be conducted at area level
- Ensure proper filing system for financial documents
- Support the Country Finance Team in internal and external audit process.
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Education, experience & technical competencies
- University degree in Finance/Accounting/Economics/Commerce/Business Administration or other relevant field
- At least three years of work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping in an NGO or UN.
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
- Experience in preparation of Donor budgets for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN donors will be an advantage.
- Ability to prepare basic training to Finance/Program staff.
- Fluency in local spoken languages.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Availability: May 2021
Duty station: Hargeisa
Reporting to: Head of Office
Duration: 6 Months with Possibility of extension based on performance and funding
Contract: This position is graded as Band G-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 4th April 2021.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport