Ref #: DRC/HGA/2022/001
DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
The Economic & Recovery assistant position is based in Hargeisa, with regular field visits in various DRC target locations in Somaliland. The postholder will help the area program manager and country Economic & recovery unit in the implementation of food security and livelihood related activities including mobilizing communities.
Facilitating beneficiary training on SME, BDS, saving groups, farmers, beneficiary registration and targeting for cash transfers in compliance with DRC, donor policies and technical guidance from country technical team.
Besides, the postholder is expected to promote DRC’s values through various community entry points in the project and preserve stakeholders and target groups moral and enthusiasm for the project work.
- Participate planning, implementation and monitoring of project activities through participative community engagement.
- Conduct community mobilization and timely information sharing on beneficiary selection and registration
- Facilitate the implementation of the livelihood activities in collaboration with the area program manager and Economic & Recovery Officer
- Facilitate beneficiary capacity building and trainings on various Economic & Recovery activities including SME, VSLA, BDS, GAP, NRM, CAAPs, Contingency plan, nutrition, hygiene practices.
- Support beneficiary’s selection, verification and registration and share information with respective supervisors while ensure equal participation by all segments of the community prioritizing female headed HHS and marginalized groups
- Conduct beneficiary targeting and registration for Cash based transfers including CWF and UCT
- Participate development of assessment questioners and conduct rapid assessment survey Beneficiaries capacity building for cash methodology
- Working closely with the M&E Officer, prepare monthly/weekly plans and report the same
- Participate in the documenting lessons learnt, best practice and case studies to contribute to sector learning
- To do any other job assigned by the supervisor.
Education, experience & technical competencies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or other related disciplines.
- Have 2 years’ experience on livelihood interventions including; micro-finance, Business Development service, SME, VSLA, energy, cooperatives and market linkages.
- Adequate knowledge on beneficiary mobile money cash transfers
- Good communication skills ability to conduct training
- Understanding of Gender, Protection and Human rights
- Having a knowledge on humanitarian responses and standards
- Experience with several of the following conventional FSL themes: Food security, livelihoods and agricultural recovery, cash programming, DRM/DRR, NRM
- Experience in working with local communities through development of CAAPs, local community resource mobilization and coordination with local authorities, diaspora and private sector partners.
- Good computer skills including Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Excellent communication (writing and oral), reporting and presentation skills in English and Somali
- Willingness to travel to all project locations on regular basis.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: 1st April 2022 Duty station: Hargeisa
Reporting to: Acting Base Manager
Duration: 6 Month of contract with possibility of extension based on fund and performance.
Contract: This position is graded as G6 (NM-I2) for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 20th February 2022.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.