UN-Habitat is interested to engage the services of a DRIVER under Berbera Development Project. The initial contract would be for a period of twelve (12) months, starting on or around 1 April 2021, with possible extension based on project needs, available budget and performance. Capable, hardworking, and dynamic candidates interested in this position should submit:
- Letter of application explaining why you are interested in the position,
- Copy of valid driving license
- Letter(s) of recommendation.
Submission should be by e-mail to: email@example.com
or in hard-copy to the UN-Habitat office at inside WHO Compound, Hargeisa. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Post Title: Driver
Type of contract: SC- Service contract
Duration: 12 months, renewable
Duty Station: Berbera/Hargeisa
Duration: 1 Year
Deadline for applications: 20 March 2021 at: 4:00pm
Purpose of the Assignment
Berbera Urban Development Project BUDP
Introduction Berbera Urban Development Project, a project implemented by UN-Habitat and funded by the European Union, aims to strengthen capacities for urban development by supporting the municipality of Berbera (Somaliland) in the areas of urban management, planning and basic service delivery. This will take shape through the formulation of a Strategic Urban Development Framework that will promote participatory planning, management and governance as an integral part to achieve sustainable urban growth. Within the scope of the project, UN-Habitatis supporting the design of public space developments, which aim to promote local economic development, tourism, and provide inclusive and recreational spaces for a growing city
- DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Driver will report directly to the UN-Habitat Project Officer Berbera (and if not present, the UN-Habitat and Admin office, under the overall supervision of then National Programme Officer (NPO). The tasks of the driver will include, but not be limited to:
- Drive office vehicle for transportation of UN-Habitat staff, other officials and visitors, and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items
- Maintain excellent safety standards, and take responsible care of all passengers, and vehicle(s) assigned
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport, including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required
- Be aware of traffic situations and possible threats to safety and security; mitigate situations as required to ensure maximum road safety and general security for all vehicle passengers.
- Ensure that only eligible persons travel in the UN-Habitat vehicle(s)
- Accurately maintain the daily vehicle logs / vehicle movement register, waiver, and provide inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Provide inputs to preparation of vehicle maintenance plans and reports. Assist with arrangements for regular vehicle inspection and service, timely minor repairs, major repairs as required, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensure the availability of required documents for vehicle insurance, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle
- Assist the Project Officer and Admin Officer in processing of travel authorizations for field missions, visas for visitors, deliveries, arrangements for meetings and workshops, etc.
- Be familiar with the roads and road conditions in the areas of operation, including Berbera/Hargeisa town and surroundings, as well as the projects sites.
- VEHICLE MAINTENANCE:
- Perform minor repairs and ensures that the passengers reach destination safely in case of a breakdown.
- Carry out regular routine checks on vehicles and ensure they are in good running condition at all times. Avoids unnecessary wear and damage to vehicles.
- Regularly maintain the vehicle, keep fuel records and receipts, maintain accurate passenger logbooks (signing in/out), and ensure that the communication equipment and vehicle is fully functioning and in good condition.
- Report and defects or suspected faults that may require repairs with time and cost implications to Programme Assistant. And UN-Habitat admin office.
- REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Hold valid, updated driving license to operate vehicles in Somaliland
- Can work under the pressure and available for any extra working hours and days during the work operation.
- Reliable and in possession of excellent driving skills and techniques, ensuring safety of the passengers, efficient and careful use of vehicles, while avoiding unnecessary risks in driving.
- Good verbal English language skills
- Familiarity with the UN system