Position Title: Social Sector Technical Consultant
Location: Ministry of Interior, Hargeisa, Somaliland
Duration: 12 months
Start Date: 1st April 2021
Application Deadline: 22th March 2021
The UN Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralised Service Delivery (JPLG), Phase III is a 5-year programme implemented by ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UN-HABITAT and UNICEF. The Programme is aligned with the National Development Plan II and supports the establishment and transformation of local government through capacitated institutions, legal frameworks, policies and practices that are accountable, inclusive, and gender-equal that support the effective delivery of services which contribute to improving the well-being of men, women and children. JPLG will focus on creating an enabling environment for improved service delivery and greater stability, through improved legal, policy and system frameworks. It will also support enhanced local government capacities and promote more inclusive local governance, with greater attention given to women, youth and minority groups. Specific programme outcomes are as follows:
Outcome 1: Policy, legal and regulatory frameworks on local governance finalized.
Outcome 2: Local governments have the capacity to deliver equitable and sustainable services, promote economic development and peace.
Outcome 3: Local governments demonstrate improved engagement of citizens, with an emphasis on women and marginalized groups.
The first two phases of the programme set a good foundation for local governance and decentralized service delivery. It supported the commission of functional assignment, sector studies in Health, WASH, & Education and contributed to the improvement of the capacity of district councils to plan local priorities and strengthen the implementation of devolved functions in support of social service delivery.
The consultant is expected to coordinate the decentralization dialogue forums including TWG & IMC forums and also work closely with the technical consultants in the sector ministries to streamline the decentralisation work across the government ministries and reflect the lessons learning from different sectors. In phase III, the focus will be mainly advocacy on advancing the sectors decentralizations strategic plans and deepening sustainability of local governments-led service delivery.
Scope of Work:
The scope of the Social sector technical consultant is to support the technical working group forums for local governance and decentralization and facilitate the implementation of the decentralisation Policy and Road and its gradual transformation in the sectoral laws, bi-laws and regulations. This will include working closely with the respective sector ministries and the Director Generals and the attached consultants to MOE and MOH to support the functioning and advisory role of the TWG/IMC. Through the coordination work, the incumbent will periodically draw out lessons learned from the process which will be briefed TWG/IMC members.
Key duties of responsibilities:
- Coordinate and Facilitate the TWG meetings on agenda setting among the stakeholders, maintaining calendar of meeting schedules and follow up of action points. At the same time, prepare the necessary logistics, correspondence, reports and presentations materials for the meetings, take the minutes and circulate timely.
- Provide technical inputs/advice to DG TWG on decentralization policy implementation to ensure that it maintains mechanisms for public consultation and participation, equity, transparency and accountability.
- Work closely with sector technical consultants and Champion Secretariat team and Facilitate coordination and documentation of efforts within social sector ministries, across departments and programs to confirm integrated implementation of social sector decentralisation
- Provide technical support, facilitate discussions to support MOI and the sectoral technical consultants to assess, review and identify possible additional functions that could be devolved in the area of primary health and education.
- Facilitate and provide technical support and guidance to the Champion secretariat/MOI to help Local governments develop a sustainable phase down strategy for SDM implementation, support the documentation of progress, achievements, lessons learn, challenges and opportunities of the local government-led services in Health, Education and Water Management and share with concerned parties on quarterly basis.
- Contribute to the improvement of capacity of the District Social Affairs Department for the implementation of the devolved functions in district authority .
- Travel to districts as part of the champion secretariat team to assess challenges facing SDMs and report back to TWG, IMC and VP.
- Support in the development of Water sector service delivery standards and norms that would inform improved planning as well as functional assignment on basic water management to local governments.
- Provide technical assistance in developing an appropriate PPP guideline that provide clear roles and responsibilities of central, local and village levels in line with current water sector legal frame work.
- Perform such other tasks, as assigned by DG of the ministry of interior and UNICEF-JPLG.
EDUCATION/ QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Advanced university degree in Public Administration, Social Policy, Development Studies or related technical field.
- At least 5 years’ experience one of which should be at a professional level in providing analysis and advisory support to governments, preferably in a development context;
- Excellent understanding on governance systems of Somaliland and experience in sectoral devolution, sectoral functional assignment an added advantage.
- Ability to read, analyze and conceptualize.
- Strong experience in up-stream program and advocacy work with governments and strengthening sub-national governance and service delivery.
- Knowledge and experience on gender, youth, child responsive programming and planning in local governance is an added assets.
- Proven ability to work with partners, write proposals, and sound evidence based reports;
- Ability to express clearly and concisely, ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- Proficiency in English, and
- Excellent report writing skills
- Able and willing to travel in Somaliland.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications.
Duration of Assignment:
The initial contract will be 12 months from April 1st with possible extension subject to performance.
The consultant will report to the Director General of the Ministry of Interior on bi-weekly basis with a copy also submitted to the JPLG Program Officer in UNICEF. The consultant will receive technical supervisory backstopping and support from UNICEF JPLG Program team.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to send their applications (CV, Motivational letter and scan copy of credentials) to email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Female qualified applicants are especially encouraged to apply.