United Nations Human Settlements Programme
P.O. Box 30030, Nairobi 00100, KENYA
|FUNCTIONAL TITLE:||Project Engineer|
|POST DURATION||5 months, renewable to performance and funds availability|
|CLOSING DATE:||9 June 2020|
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. UN-Habitat helps the urban poor by transforming cities into safer, healthier, greener places with better opportunities where everyone can live in with dignitya It works with organizations at every level, including all spheres of government, civil society and the private sector to help build, manage, plan and finance sustainable urban development. The post is located in Hargeisa, Somaliland.
Under a grant from the European Union and with additional support from the Somaliland Development Fund, UN-Habitat has been implementing a USD 25 million project to rehabilitate and upgrade the principal water supply for Hargeisa, the capital of Somaliland. The Hargeisa Urban Water Supply Upgrading Project (HUWSUP) of national importance and its final stages include the establishment of a modern, well-equipped pumping station at Ged Deeble. The old pipeline from the main wellfield of Geed Deeble has been replaced with a new capacity transmission main that will bring more water to the City of Hargeisa after the supply and installation of the new pumping equipment.
Under the overall coordination of the Officer in Charge and under the direct supervision of the Senior Water Development Consultant, the Project Engineer will perform the following duties:
- Support UN-Habitat in the implementation and supervision of the remaining components of the HUWSUP project, carry out technical tasks and supervision of works as required.
- Provide inputs to and be part of the technical supervision team for the construction of site offices at the new Geed Deeble pumping station, and other upcoming electro-mechanical work components.
- Undertake site supervision duties and ensure that contract documents are followed according to technical specifications.
- Ensure that the works are supervised daily and all necessary site monitoring, attendance, worksheets, and progress records are prepared. Monitor and report on site progress and provide an accurate record of quantity of water infrastructure works and installations done
- Support overall quality control and monitor performance of sub-contractors, service providers, and consultancy firms;
- Undertake regular visits to water infrastructure project sites, oversee the works and guide the contractors on the activities and works, and provide concrete suggestions to the UN-Habitat Programme Management for improvement on the same if required
- Keep track of completed BoQ items, quantities, and their equivalent costs, and alert UN-Habitat management as soon as there are indications that quantities and budgeted costs might be exceeded.
- Assist in the preparation of payment certificates and overviews of completed work components, for signing by authorized UN-Habitat staff;
- Participate in progress meetings with Contractors, Programme Management, national counterparts etc;
- Assist in the communication of technical issues of the project to third parties and stakeholders including, but not limited to, the Government of Somaliland, HWA, staff engaged under other projects within the broader Hargeisa water intervention, project stakeholders, contacts and other interested groups.
- Support UN-Habitat in the preparation, technical implementation and supervision of the project activities in Berbera, carry out technical tasks and supervision of works as required.
- Provide Engineering support to all in-house designs and related construction works; Assist with technical inputs to remaining designs, BoQs and technical specifications for additional works and variations that will be directly implemented by UN-Habitat. Prepare require engineering calculations and drawings, as required.
- Provide technical inputs to tender documents for additional project components, including specifications, BoQ and drawings and work directly with the Senior Engineer and Project Coordinator in the getting documents ready for tendering.
- Assist the Project Manager in any feasibility work or outline design work prior to detailed design.
- Offer guidance and assist other national staff members in planning, carrying out and completing their tasks and activities. Provide feedback to UN-Habitat management and Project Manager;
- Assist UN-Habitat management, HUWSUP Output Manager and Berbera Project manager, and provide support in the oversight of Consultants and Contractors engaged in construction works in Hargeisa and Berbera.
- Participate in the preparation of project proposals, concept notes, progress reports, minutes of meetings, visibility products, etc.
- Ensure systematic and complete filing and archiving of all technical documents, contracts, engineering drawings and reports for water infrastructure development
- Any other technical duties that may reasonably be requested by the Project Management in the interest of the Project.
Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN values and ethical standards. Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN-Habitat. Displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
An advanced level university degree in Civil engineering or any other related is a requirement. A first level university degree in combination with additional two years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Proven work experience of at least three years in civil works as well as experiences in site supervision. Substantive knowledge and design experience in the field of water treatment / pumping and pipeline design or distribution. Working experience with an INGO or UN is an asset.
Strong written and oral skills in both English and Somali are a requirement.
Proven knowledge in project management, coordination and finance. Proactive, results oriented, independent, able to identify and carry out duties and responsibilities with minimum supervision. Mature, professional, supportive and cooperative in all matters within the work setting, problem-solving oriented. Maintain confidentiality with regards to all work-related issues.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
How to Apply
Applications should include:
1) Motivation letter (maximum 1 page)
2) Completed United Nation Personal History Form ( P.11) marked “Project Engineer”
Qualified women are highly encouraged to submit their application.
Evaluation of qualified candidates includes an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview and written test for short-listed candidates.