Overall purpose of the role
To assist Country offices and program operations in the East Africa and Great Lakes region to strengthen and develop MEAL systems and tools, and ensure that these are applied for best practice, accountable programming. Working with programmatic counterparts and the MEAL staff at the global, regional and country level, the MEAL Manger will engage in policy, strategic as well as programmatic developments to ensure the DRC/DDG continues its growth in MEAL practices.
Take a lead role in implementing DRC Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Minimum Operational Procedures (MELMOPs) and DDG’s M&E framework:
- Maintain regional level M&E system in accordance with DRC minimum standards for M&E and DRC evaluationpolicy
- Ensure that DRC/DDG programmesadhere to the DRC MELMOPs as well as DDG M&E Framework and continuously update the compliance self-checks, contribute to evolving and adapting thesestandards
- Support adherence to the DRC/DDG Evaluation Policy and the Regional EvaluationGuidelines.
- Support the development of plans towards achieving adherence to relevant policies and frameworks where this does notexist.
Work to ensure strong linkage between M&E and the DRC Planning and Reporting Framework with a view to improving the quality and effectiveness of programmes and projects:
- Put in place appropriate mechanisms, systems and tools that will facilitate structured and systematic participation and inputs by ME&L focal points in country strategy development, proposal development and reportingprocesses
- Ensure that key elements of DRC/DDG planning processes including Strategic Program Documents, Quarterly Reports, Annual Reviews and Results Contracts are adequately informed by M&E data and information as well as learnings emanatingtherefrom.
- Work with and support the Regional and Country Program teams to institutionalize Theory of Change thinking as an organizing framework for improving programme design, implementation, evaluation and learningprocesses
- Assess existing and further develop procedures used for ensuring program quality in coordination with the global processes of strengthening monitoring and evaluation inDRC;
- Review and provide technical input into the development of log frames/results frameworks, informing, reviewing and approving monitoring and evaluation plans and budgets for all new proposals, prior to their submission todonors.
Supports learning and knowledge management, including;
- Provide technical support to ensure that DRC/DDG is able to articulate and document relevant best practices and assess performance regularly against agreed program objectives andindicators.
- Ensure capture of lessons learned from evaluations and other MEALprocesses
- Support the production of lessons learned policy paper and implement the suggestions in pilotcountries.
- Institutionalize a system of reflection and learning across all stages of the DRC/DDG Project cycle and ensure that systems to facilitate utilization and reapplication of learnings, both internally and externally, are developed andimplemented
- Work with Business Development and Partnership Unit to highlight key learning and embed this learning across theregion
Provide technical support to in-country based MEAL and Programme teams with a view to ensure coherence and improve quality in data collection, analysis and reporting:
- Support the country offices to improve quality of monitoring, evaluation and accuratereporting,
- Support piloting of DRC/DDG Online MEL database aimed at facilitating real-time reporting of M&E data and information
- Direct support to evaluations, assessments and programme monitoring at regional and country level, and to respective global initiatives as needed and appropriate
- Ensure global level involvement in the larger evaluation activities in the region and support the global HQ M&Eteam
- Continuously improve and update data collection tools, so they can be used in a particular context and reflect the MELMOPs and DDG’s M&Eframework.
- Implement the use of mobile phones / tablets for data collection throughout theregion
- Provide capacity building training, coaching and mentoring to staff, primary stakeholders, and implementing partners in project design, monitoring and evaluation, development of indicators, logframes and ToC, development of M&E plans and specific M&E assessments andsurveys.
- Continuously QA the quality of data collection and dataentry
- Overall manage the various databases and summary sheets to oversee measurement of achievement and progress toward program goals and results through the M&Esystem.
- Disseminate results in varied ways to enhance use in reports and in decisionmaking
Team Management and Coordination
- Direct supervision and management of MEAL teammembers
- Provide technical support to DRC and DDG field staff to build relevant skills and capacities to deliver programmes and projects effectively and withquality.
Other: Other tasks as assigned by the DDG RHoP and which are related to the above responsibilities.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficientprocess
- Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encouragefeedback.
- Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming forinnovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively andhonestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision andvalues
- Relevant university degree in fields related to organization learning, international development,or MEAL; Master’s degree preferred in relevantfield
- Minimum 7 years of technical experience in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning in a seniorcapacity.
- Demonstrated M&E understanding and experience within a complex international humanitariancontext.
- Excellent written and well-developed oral communication skills.
- High accuracy and attention todetail.
- Work style: Well planned and organized and has a capacity for initiative and decisionmaking
- Ability to work independently and as a team player with demonstrated leadership andparticipatory manner.
- Knowledge of regional languagesdesirable
- High degree of computerliteracy
- Excellent communication skills in English isrequired.
- Excellent communication skills in French and/or other regional language ispreferred
Contract: One-year Contract. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for national staff conditions in the respective Country. This position is under Employment bandM.F1
Dutystation: Position to be based in either of the following locations; Addis Ababa, Djibouti ville, Bujumbura, Dar es Salaam, Kibondo, Goma, Hargeisa, Kampala, Mogadishu or Nairobi, with frequenttravel within East Africa and Great LakesRegion.
Reporting: The position reports to DDG Regional Head ofProgramme.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngounder Vacancies.
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 01 September 2020.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.