Ref #: DRC2020/269
DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
The Project Assistant (4Mi) will be involved in data collection on migrants arriving or passing through their specific locations using a mobile survey tool and sending the information gathered to the MMC team for analysis.
Responsibilities: group around key responsibility areas with bullet points under each responsibility area
- Identification of migrants, refugees and returnees in mixed migration flows into/through Somaliland; may involve travel within a reasonable distance to conduct interviews
- Monthly data collection of at least 50 surveys per month using the 4Mi phone and survey tool provided by 4Mi
- Engaging in a monthly call with the 4Mi team in Nairobi to discuss data quality and any other matters regarding the project
- Referring critical protection issues to the designated contact persons in line with the 4Mi guidelines
- Being responsive on email/ phone/ or skype in case the 4Mi team needs to communicate urgent matters regarding the project
Education, experience & technical competencies
- At least 3 years working experience
- 2 years of enumerator experience (desirable)
- Understanding of smartphone applications, including android-based smart phone settings
- Knowledge of migration dynamics in the region
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to build trust and establish a rapport quickly
- Strong listening and communication skills, able to converse easily with people
- Feedback skills, able to revise and make changes if provided with feedback
- High level of trustworthiness, dependability, and transparency
- Must have completed Secondary School, a university degree is an added advantage
- Written and verbal fluency in English and Somalia and at least one of the following languages Amharic, Oromo, Arabic
- To have Somaliland National ID card is a MUST
- Applying 2 positions within the same time will be disqualified.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: 15th June 2020
Duty station: Hargeisa
Reporting to: Team leader- Protection
Duration: 6 Months and 15 days Contract (Casual Base renewal on monthly basis)
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested & qualified candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their updated CV and a 1-page Cover letter clearly stating their motivation and why they are suited for the post to SOM-HRG-JOBS@DRC.NGO with the subject heading “4 MI Monitor /Location” not later than 4th May 2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test & oral interview.