|Reports to||Country Finance Manager|
|Location||Hargeisa, Somaliland||Travel required||Yes|
|Geographical scope of role||Somalia / Somaliland|
|Effective Date||January 2021||Grade||B|
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And its girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 77 countries.
Plan international has opened an office in Somaliland and started programmes that focus on child protection, education and youth economic empowerment programming both humanitarian and development setting, working with/through partners and providing technical support to INGOs, Somaliland NGOs and the Government of Somaliland in Plan’s areas of expertise
The purpose of this job is to contribute the organisation’s effective financial management and processes. The post holder will support finance department in the areas of archiving the financial documents, Accounts reconciliations, and other financial day to day duties as per Plan’s finance guidelines.
management scope, reporting lines, key relationships
The Finance Assistant will be based at the Country Office and S/he will uphold Plan’s Core Values, promote mission and vision, programme principles (transparency, gender equality and diversity) to enhance programme impact, and be committed to child protection and respect for human rights.
Reports to: Country Finance Manager.
Plan International staff including;
Vendors and Suppliers.
Level of Contact with Children:
The position will be based in the Country Office and frequent travel to the Field Sites and the incumbent will give strategic direction on finance level of contact with children will be occasional.
This position is based in Hargeisa with frequent travel to field sites and partners’ offices in the country.
Accountabilities and MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
- Initiate processing of all approved invoices in to the finance system in preparation for payment and further processing of the payment while observing segregation of duties. Ensure that suppliers’ remittance advices are sent immediately after payment.
- Process travel Advances, staff claims and Liquidations and seek approvals of the same where required.
- Prepare reconciliations for bank, Mobile Money, and vendor accounts.
- Support in the Review of Partner/ Suppliers/Staff Advances liquidations as required.
- Participate in the annual physical verification of Assets in the Country Office
- Maintaining and managing of all project financial documents to safeguard financial documents and audit trails. Ensure that all financial documents are properly filed for easy retrieval.
- Actively participate in the preparation of Quarter end reporting schedules.
- Support in the correction of NR Grant or any other grant corrections as requested by other CFM or the Program/grant department.
- Support in clearing of balance sheet accounts like advances, prepaid rents, prepayments among others. Preparing of reconciliations of balance sheet accounts. E.g. cash, medical, receivables and payables accounts as guided by the CFM.
- Support in Grants and Finance Remediation as guided by the RH through the Country Finance Manager in preparation for SAP migration into the finance system.
- Posting Mobile Money journals and any other monthly related journals every month before the closure of the period as guided by the Country Finance Manager.
- Ensure that all the offices’ transactions are appropriately processed into the system using the correct account, activity and donor code
- Prepare audit documents as maybe necessary for statutory audits, internal audits and any grants audits.
- Participate in CO Operations processes as maybe required from time to time.
Business Management competencies
- Requires good communication skills and judgement to negotiate with project staff, vendors and partners.
- Excellent communication problem solving and record keeping skills
- Strong analytical and financial interpretation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Committed, honest and transparent
- High degree of confidentiality and integrity
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
Qualifications/ experience essential:
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting or equivalent area and ACCA/CIMA
- Three years working experience in a similar role working in a computerized accounting office in an NGO setup.
- Eloquent appreciation of budgeting and budgetary control.
- Strong experience in working with donor funded projects e.g USAID, SIDA, CIDA, etc
- Good understanding of taxation and other statutory laws which will hinge on finance
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, database, internet
Qualifications/ experience desirable:
Knowledge of using SAP systems
Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
Please Note that Plan International Does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Application deadline 9th Dec 2020