Subject of Procurement: Re-advertisement of consulting Services for developing National Planning Policy Guidelines and Act
Reference No: SO-CSC-153560-CS-INDV
Deadline: July 30, 2020 at 3pm (Local time)
- Background of the assignment
Somaliland’s constitution mandates the government to embark on development strategies and devise plans for the country’s economic and social development, there is no national planning policy and regulatory framework which could govern the planning function of both the national government and local governments. This has created confusion and lack of clarity in Somaliland’s development planning processes and direction. It also jeopardizes the effective implementation of the national vision and the national development plan.
To bridge this policy and regulatory framework, Outcome 5 and its priority interventions under SDG17 in NDPII clearly stipulate to promote and significantly improve national planning processes and institutional capacities through strengthening the planning and statistics departments, developing national planning policy and national planning act, reviewing and strengthening national planning architecture and strengthening national monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Objective of the Assignment
The primary objective of the assignment is to develop a national planning policy and national planning bill to govern the planning function of all government institutions and lay down the necessary structures.
The consultant shall perform the following specific tasks:
- Undertake literature review of all existing documents relating to the policy, act, practice and methodologies used by either Somaliland or other countries at present or previously for deeper comparative analysis and differences. Thoroughly analyze available literature, existing standards, relevant policies, laws, practices and tools now employed.
- Produce inception report encapsulating the current situation and the way forward for the development of the national planning policy and national planning bill.
- Review all the existing laws which are in one way or another touching upon the planning function of the national government and the local governments and propose what should be done for harmonization purposes.
- Organize a national consultation workshop for officials from the MoPND, the Ministry of Finance, Solicitor General, the Ministry of Interior and President’s Office as well as key development partners and stakeholders for making sure the required input is captured.
- Organize a validation workshop for the finalization of the policy and the bill.
The consultant will use the most current available data/literature as basis for the assignment and will facilitate the validation of all reports including the policy and the bill.
The duration of the assignment should be conducted and completed within a period of 70 working days from 30 Aug up to 30 December 2020.
The consultant will work closely with the government team established as part of the methodology for this assignment and submit to it regular progress reports for review and feedback. He/she will report directly to the Chairman, Civil Service Commission. The consultant and Government Team will ensure effective consultation and collaboration with senior officials of government ministries, departments and agencies.
The Somaliland Civil Service Commission invites applications from qualified candidates for the assignment. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to complete the services (CV’s, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc.).
The selection shall be based on qualification, experience and skills of the candidate and followed by an interview. The qualifications, experience and competencies include:
- Master’s degree preferably in public policy, Leadership and governance, development studies, economics, LLM or closely related field.
7.2 Experience and competencies
- Ten (10) years of specific experience in developing or advising national planning policies regulatory framework.
- Demonstrated experience in development planning.
- Demonstrated experience working with governments of developing countries including fragile and conflict-affected states.
- Proven ability to deliver results in complex and challenging environments.
- Demonstrated ability in excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to build consensus and good judgment in a non.-prejudicial manner especially in dealing with politically sensitive issues.
- Excellent computer skills for Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English is a must.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011), revised July 2014 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. Please visit www.worldbank.org setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. In addition, please refer to specific information on conflict of interest related to this assignment as per paragraph 1.9 of Consultant Guidelines.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers dated January 2011 (revised July 2014) – Selection of Individual Consultant.
The detailed Terms of Reference (ToR) for the assignment can be found at the following website: http://cscsomaliland.com or can be provided upon submission of application in person or by e-mail at the address below during office hours 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Saturday to Thursday. The e-mail address is provided below.
Expressions of interest and CV must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, courier or by e-mail) by July 30, 2020, at 3pm Local time.
Attention: Civil Service Commission, Project Coordination Unit (PCU)
City: Hargeisa, Somaliland
E-mail: email@example.com and copy to