Project Holder Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries Development
Project Artisanal Fisheries Project, Sanaag region
Fund Somaliland Development Fund Phase 2
IFA Title Senior Fisheries Expert
IFA No. P101-029
The Somaliland Development Fund – Phase 2 (SDF2) covers the period 2018-2022. SDF2 is conceived as an inclusive economic development programme. It supports the GoSL in delivering infrastructure that is relevant for inclusive economic development. It focuses on sustainable investments that spur job creation and fast growth, while at the same time laying the foundation for
long-term resilience and development, leading to a more stable and peaceful Somaliland. SDF2’s ambitions are fully aligned with government priorities as defined in Somaliland’s second National
Development Plan (NDP2 – 2017-2021) and reflect the priorities set out in Somaliland Vision 2030.
The Fund Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management and administration of the Fund.
The Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries Development (MoLFD) has developed a Project Concept
Note on fisheries development. The proposed project seeks to enhance artisal fisheries value chain
by strengthening the cooling and cold storage systems, improving the transport through provision of refrigerated trucks and building fish markets in Sanaag coast. The proposed project will build on the achievements made during SDF Phase 1.
The SDF Secretariat is therefore seeking the services of a Senior Fisheries Short-Term Expert (STE) to support the MoLFD in the conducting necessary preliminary consultations, assessments and development of a full project proposal as per the SDF approved proposal format.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Qualifications and skills
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Fisheries Sciences, Marine Resources, Biology (specialized
in Aquaculture or Fisheries resources);
- Demonstrated excellent command of spoken and written English; and
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
General professional experience
- Extensive previous experience (minimum 12 years) in implementing fisheries development
projects in coastal rural communities in developing countries;
- Proven understanding of Project Cycle Management (PCM), Logical Framework Approach
- Demonstrated experience in conducting feasibility appraisal for artisanal fisheries projects;
- Demonstrated understanding of the contribution of the artisanal fisheries sector to economic
Specific professional experience
- At least 8 years’ experience in designing and supervising/managing fisheries development
projects in fragile and conflict affected countries;
- Designed and wrote at least one project proposal for the artisal fisheries sector in the last
three years; and
- Demonstrated understanding of the fisheries value chain for rural coastal communities.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application (cover letter and CV) to the Somaliland
Development Fund Secretariat through e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates should indicate
in their cover letter how they fit the criteria outlined in the advert. All applications must be received by
13 April 2020 at 1600hrs East African Standard Time. Applicants should clearly indicate the
position they are applying for in the email subject line. Full Terms of Reference can be accessed on
the SDF website through the link https://www.somalilanddevelopmentfund.org/opportunities-open
P101-029 – Readvertisement.
Any attempt by a candidate to influence the outcome of the recruitment process in any way which
can be interpreted as canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification from being considered for this
This Consultancy is open to Somaliland and International Candidates.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.