|FUNCTIONAL TITLE:||Project Assistant|
|POST DURATION||12 months, renewable to performance and funds availability|
|CLOSING DATE:||22 Feb 2020|
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. UN-Habitat helps the urban poor by transforming cities into safer, healthier, greener places with better opportunities where everyone can live in with dignity. It works with organizations at every level, including all spheres of government, civil society and the private sector to help build, manage, plan and finance sustainable urban development. The post is located within the Somalia Programme, Regional Office for Africa (ROAF).
The Berbera Urban Development Project will focus on sustainable and economically gainful waste management, employment creation, minimized waste generation, innovative and appropriate use of existing resources, reuse of materials, and awareness raising on the concepts of well managed growth through a more circular approach to economic development.
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to inclusive and sustainable urban development and economic growth in Berbera through improved waste management infrastructure and services. The intervention aims at bridging the gap between the urban poor and the local government, by strengthening inclusive governance, enabling the provision of improved services and creating related employment in Berbera. Local development potential will be unlocked through a well formulated long-term waste management strategy and the mobilization of capital investment needed for the development of infrastructure and basic service delivery for all, with focus on the urban poor. The project will increase municipal capacities in the areas of urban environment and waste management, planning and implementation of associated infrastructure, service delivery and the creation of livelihood opportunities for young people in the circular economy.
Under the overall coordination of the Officer in Charge and under the direct supervision of the Berbera Urban Development Project Manager, the Project Assistant will perform the following duties:
- Implementation of the Berbera Urban Development Project
- Support implementation of the Berbera project;
- Ensure proactive monitoring of the field activities, contributing to the timely implementation of the different project components;
- Coordinate with the local governments, community leaders and religious leaders upon implementation of workplan activities;
- Organize and facilitate community meetings incl. budget preparation and reporting;
- Provide substantial contributions to project reports, newsletters, technical reports, social media messaging, and website updates
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of presentations to various groups in local authorities, community groups, and other public and private agencies;
- Represent UN-Habitat in technical advisory teams,town consultations, town planning initiatives etc;
- Organizes and effectively participate in consultative sessions with the national counterparts, provides programme updates, solves troubleshoot emerging issues and keeps thematic leads well-informed;
- Contributes to project’s efforts for adequate visibility and public awareness in collaboration with relevant staff;
- Administration and support activities
- Pro-active supports establishment of operational UN-Habitat Berbera Office in close collaboration with the Project Manager and National Programme Officer Hargeisa
- Coordinate and conduct general administration tasks in support of the Berbera office
- Support field missions of UN-Habitat staff and assigned consultants;
- Acts as liaison person to UNDSS for UN-Habitat in Berbera;
- Any other assignment when required by Supervisor.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and sharing
- Synthesizes good practices and lessons learnt of projecct initiatives and other relevant UN-Habitat projects and programmes working with local and sub-national governments for sharing among the team members;
- Contributes to sound knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Results Expected: Programmes/projects developed, managed, monitored and evaluated; effective management of local teams; well-reasoned written contributions and substantive innovated approaches for dealing with issues; and effective working relationships through internal and external communications, and strengthened partnerships with relevant parties.
Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN values and ethical standards. Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN-Habitat. Displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
An advanced level university degree in development studies, public administration, international relations or other related social sciences is a requirement. A first level university degree in combination with additional two years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Proven work experience of at least three years with public sector entities as well as experiences in project management, moderation and representation and report writing and monitoring and evaluation is a requirement. Substantive experience in community mobilization, (local) governance, local economic development, solid waste management is an added advantage
Working experience with an INGO or UN is an asset.
Substantive knowledge in development issues in general and gender mainstreaming is desirable.
Strong written and oral skills in both English and Somali are a requirement.
Proven knowledge in project management, coordination and finance. Proactive, results oriented, independent, able to identify and carry out duties and responsibilities with minimum supervision. Mature, professional, supportive and cooperative in all matters within the work setting, problem-solving oriented. Maintain confidentiality with regards to all work-related issues.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
How to Apply
Applications should include:
1) Motivation letter (maximum 1 page)
2) Completed United Nation Personal History Form ( P.11) marked “Project Assitant_Berbera Urban Development Project”
Qualified women are highly encouraged to submit their application.
Evaluation of qualified candidates includes an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview and written test for short-listed candidates.
|All applications should be submitted to:
P.O. Box 30030, Nairobi, Kenya
Email: Officer-in-Charge, UN-Habitat Somalia: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: 22 Feb 2020